Monday, May 21, 2012

Quiz Make Up

        The artist I choose was Judy Pfaff; she started off as a painter and kind of evolved into a sculptor. I am amazed at the sculptures and installation she has done; very beautiful work. Although Pfaff started off as a painter, I am more attracted to her sculptures. I like the hues and organic spaces of her sculptures and how “in your face” they are. Rather than her paintings, which are nice as well; but are just there hanging on a wall. A piece that I am kind of obsessed with is the "Buckets of Rain" sculpture. Though the piece is an emotional piece, I still fine it to be very beautiful. The theme of this piece and what she is communicating with the viewers is her inspiration from loss. Pfaff loss her mother and a couple of good friends and family members the year before she made “Bucket of Rain.” Her sadness inspired her to make a sculpture of darkness by using a large natural tree root and cutting that large tree root into two pieces. Then painting one root of white and the other of black and hanging the white root above the black root, representing happiness and sadness and the good verses bad. Pfaff piece really touched me because it brought me back to when my grandfather passed away a couple of years ago and the mixed emotions I felt when I was dealing with his loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment